Gun Violence Prevention & Public Safety
California’s strong gun laws work – our state is ranked #1 in gun safety, with gun death rates 37% lower than the national average.
- California law strictly prohibits assault weapons
- California has some of the strongest red flag laws in America, making sure dangerous people don’t have access to deadly weapons
- California balances 2nd amendment rights with common sense protections: requiring universal background checks, age restrictions, waiting periods, and mental health screenings
- Signed legislation strengthening and expanding the gun violence restraining order process and regulations on ghost guns.
- $758 million public safety plan to pay for more local police and prosecutors
- Placed a moratorium on the death penalty and immediately closed the execution chamber at San Quentin State Prison.
Gavin Newsom is delivering for California.
Learn more about where Gavin Newsom stands on the issues facing Californians.