From the first days of the pandemic, Gavin Newsom followed the science. California’s pandemic response saved tens of thousands of lives, protected the economy, and built up an unprecedented public health infrastructure. Because we put our people first, our economy doesn’t just lead the nation — it powers the nation.
- The state acted fast and saved lives: California was the first state to issue a stay-at-home order and then immediately began distributing a billion pieces of PPE, processing 168 million tests, and eventually administering 81 million vaccinations
- California’s vaccination efforts saved 20,000 lives in only ten months, kept 73,000 people out of the hospital, and prevented 1.5 million infections
- California’s COVID death rate remains amongst the lowest in the nation, especially compared to other large states
- During the height of the pandemic, California’s GDP contracted less (-2.8%) than Texas, Florida, and Indiana — states with fewer COVID-19 restrictions — and beat the national average (-3.5%).
- In 2021, California’s GDP growth (7.8%) was the third highest in the nation and the highest among large states, including Texas (5.6%) and Florida (6.9%).
Gavin Newsom is delivering for California.
Learn more about where Gavin Newsom stands on the issues facing Californians.